This was my most favorite shoulder workout ever! Normally I’m not one to get excited about a shoulder workout but I did a couple of new-to-me exercises which made it pretty fun. A lot of women neglect working out the shoulders and they seem to concentrate more on the larger muscle groups (or just cardio..) but be careful to remember to include shoulder-specific exercises in your workout program.
I also did a bit of ab work and finished up with some interval training that left me feeling like I was gonna vomit ~ Biggest Loser style. Guess that’s what I get for not doing it for a couple weeks.
- Barbell Overhead Press: 3 sets x 10 reps (last set to failure)
- Upright Row: 2 sets x 10 reps (last set to failure)
- Lateral Raise: 2 sets x 10 reps (last set to failure)
- Renegade Row: 2 sets x 10 reps (last set to failure)
*I performed the first 3 exercises on my Step 360 to work the core in there a bit more.
**If you aren’t sure what a renegade row is it’s an exercise that targets the middle back but also works the back of the shoulders (rear delts). You perform the exercise in the push-up position except your hands will be on dumbbells resting on the floor. Alternating arms, simply row one arm up, set back down and switch to row the other arm.
- Decline Crunch: 2 sets x 30 reps
- The end. That’s all I did for abs because the renegade rows gave them quite the workout!
Cardio Workout: Interval Training
- Intervals using a 1:2 ratio (sprint @ 9mph for 1 minute, walk for 2 minutes)
I haven’t done intervals using this ratio before but I decided to after reading about it in The New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you haven’t read this book, you’re missing out. I’m only on about Chapter 6 I think and I’ve already learned so much.
I can’t wait to go to bed, I’ma sleep like a baby!