Admittedly, I’m a quote junkie. If you are too you might appreciate this round-up of inspirational quotes about persistence and perseverance. If there’s one thing I’ve learned during the past year, it’s that it’s important to keep pushing and working towards what I want to accomplish no matter what. When things get tough, it’s okay to slow down to be able to focus and work through things but it’s important to never ever stop completely.
If you’re looking for a little jolt of motivation, I hope you’ll find that these quotes help you get motivated to put in the work to meet your goals. Motivation is nothing if taking action doesn’t follow.
Quotes About Persistence and Perseverance
- “Don’t be confused by what looks like luck to you. Lucky people don’t make successful people; people who completely commit themselves to success seem to get lucky in life.” – Grant Cardone
- “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” – Calvin Coolidge
- “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” – Albert Einstein
- “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” – Maya Angelou
- “Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.” – Thomas Carlyle
- “The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory. That’s the essence of it.” – Vince Lombardi
- “The harder you fall, the heavier your heart; the heavier your heart, the stronger you climb; the stronger you climb, the higher your pedestal.” – via Criss Jami
- “First forget inspiration. Habit is more dependable. Habit will sustain you whether you’re inspired or not. Habit will help you finish and polish your stories. Inspiration won’t. Habit is persistence in practice.” – Octavia E. Butler
- “Paralyze resistance with persistence.” – Woody Hayes
- “A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.” – Jim Watkins
- “A failure is not always a mistake. It may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.” – B.F. Skinner
- “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” – Julie Andrews
How to be persistent?
It’s simple, but can be difficult. Basically, just never quit. To be persistent you need to keep going – no matter how slowly or how difficult things become. This is something I need to work on for sure. My blog kind of fell by the wayside last year because I experienced a great deal of loss in my life and it was difficult to keep posting.
Posting blog updates seemed so insignificant at the time but that also translated into a great loss of momentum for myself as far as the growth of this blog. I’ve worked hard to get where I am and when I stop blogging almost completely for any length of time, let alone several months in a row, I’m slowing down my progress for a project I’m so passionate about. I’m not *too* hard on myself about that but I am working on being persistent with my blog when things are going well and not so well.
When you really wanna go for something, persistence is where it’s at. It’s not all about talent. It’s about who’s willing to work hard. The person with less “talent” who’s taking more action towards their goals will be more successful than a person with more “talent” who slacks off. That’s an idea that took me my whole life to learn and really grasp. You don’t need talent to be successful, you just need to be the hardest working person in the room!
Never quit, always persist.