Interested in the PiYo program? I have officially completed week one of PiYo so I’ve got a PiYo workout review for you today. I wanted to combine the Define: Upper Body and Define: Lower Body workouts in this review because they are shorter workouts (~ 20 minutes each) and from today on, I will be doing them together on the same day (more on that below).
I’m going to try and make this short and to the point so here goes!
Define: Lower Body
- Length: ~ 23 minutes
- Focuses on lower body work (obvious, right? haha)
- Begins with a warm-up
- Broken down into several series; I loved the warrior and down dog ones poses
- LOVED (and I’m a total really not flexible beginner)
Define: Upper Body
This workout is scheduled on its own day on the PiYo schedule but at the very end of Define: Lower Body, Chalene Johnson gives you the option of continuing on to Define: Upper Body (since they’re both fairly short) so that’s what I started doing today.
This basically makes the program 5 days per week instead of 6 and you can choose to rest on non-workout days or do another activity if you choose. I personally tend to do better with schedules that are 4 or 5 days per week as opposed to 6. I am not a workout junkie and enjoy my rest days. A lot!
- Length: ~ 20 minutes
- Focuses on upper body work, including core
- I did a couple of V-ups! Could not do them the first time through this workout
- No real warm-up or cool down (fine with me since I plan on starting with Lower Body anyway as I mentioned above)
- Broken down into several series
- LOVED (after doing this workout the first time, I felt like it was too short and was afraid it wasn’t doing much, however, my entire upper body felt pretty used the following day. It’s legit.)
- If you received one of the first shipments of PiYo your Quick Start Guide may be wrong concerning this workout. My guide says it’s 35 minutes long but it’s simply a TYPO that Beachbody has fixed on all future shipments.
Define: Lower and Upper Body Calorie Burn
Are you wondering how many calories these workouts burn together? I always find it interesting.
Here is my calorie count: 235 calories burned in almost 42 minutes
Of course your numbers will vary and depend on your effort, current fitness level and a lot of other stuff. This is just what I burned to give you an idea.
And I really don’t know how accurate Polar heart monitors are but they motivate me to work harder when I can see the calorie count increasing. (I got sick of the chest strap and I use my Apple Watch now)
Final PiYo Thoughts
I am loving PiYo so far. I’ve done each of these workouts twice now and I am already seeing improvements since doing them for the first time earlier in the week! This is a low impact program that could definitely help you lose weight if that’s something you’re looking for.
I noticed some minor cramping in my hip area during certain moves but that is because my hips are very, very tight. Like, crazy tight. I has no flexibility which is one reason I love PiYo so much. It feels like I’m getting a little more flexible each day and that’s all I can ask for. It’s funny how much longer my limbs and torso feel after doing these workouts! (I wonder if I look taller when I’m done? haha)
If you’re looking for a workout that’s a little more intense, I think this is the perfect workout to hybrid with others. If you’re wanting to add strength or cardio workouts they can be done easily in conjunction with this program. Doing PiYo immediately after a strength or cardio workout would probably feel amazing because your muscles will already be warm and it’ll feel amazing to stretch them out!
If you’re pushing yourself as Chalene reminds you to do, it’ll feel like work. If it feels too easy, that probably means you should work a liiiiiiitle harder. Or maybe your body is just fooling you and it kind of feels easy and then you wake up tomorrow and realize just how much your muscles were working! (that’s what happened to me)
My other PiYo workout reviews
- PiYo ‘Sculpt’ Review and Preview
- ‘Buns’ and ‘Drench’ PiYo Workout Reviews
- PiYo Workout Deluxe Package Unboxing
- 3 Day Refresh + Week 2 PiYo Meal Plan
- Align: The Fundamentals
You can also learn more on my PiYo page.
I hope you’re having a fun, sunshine-y weekend!