I kind of miss blogging my workouts. A lot. I’ve been going back and forth whether to start including them again or not and I’ve decided that it might be a good idea so I plan on doing home workout weekly recaps every Monday. Posting my workouts holds me accountable and it’s proof I’m taking action myself and not just writing about it.
All of my workouts are done either in my living room if I’m following a Beachbody program or in our basement home gym if I’m doing other workouts. Our home gym is definitely not super fancy but we have built it up over the years. We have a rowing machine, an adjustable bench, a homemade squat rack (my husband is a welder), a treadmill, an olympic weight set and another bench.
We also have adjustable dumbbells and several kettlebells. We started our home gym in 2008 and we’ve been adding to it as money allows. The only thing I wish we had that a regular gym has? A leg press machine! But I love being able to get great workouts without leaving my home.
Weekly Home Workout Recap
Last week I started a 4 day split workout that my husband is also doing. It’s nice to be back in the basement with the barbell. There’s just something about using a barbell. I’ve definitely been missing it.
- Decline bench – 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
- Incline bench – 4 sets x 10 reps
- Flat bench – 4 sets x 8 reps
- Flat flyes – 4 sets x 10 reps
My view from the bench:
- Deadlifts – 10, 8, 6, 4 (used 95# on my last set)
- Pull ups – 4 sets x 6 reps (assisted)
- Bent rows – 4 sets x 10 reps
- One arm row – 4 sets x 10 reps
It was fun taking out my old Les Mills Pump barbell to use for bent rows:
My shoulders were pretty sore after this workout!
- Overhead press – 10, 8, 6, 4
- Reverse dumbbell flye – 4 sets x 10 reps
- Dumbbell press – 4 sets x 10 reps
- Front raise – 4 sets x 10 reps
- Lateral raise – 4 sets x 10 reps
- Barbell Squats – 10, 8, 6, 4 (155# on my set of 4!)
- Curtsy lunges – 4 sets x 10 reps (these made the sides of my booty sore for days)
- Calf raises – 4 sets x 15 reps
This leg workout might not seem too involved but I promise I was sore. Since this was my first week doing a split like this I took it somewhat easy just to see where I’m at.
My husband and I were planning to do an arm workout together on Saturday but we were both pretty sore from the other workouts. We might try again next weekend.
Prior to this week I had just finished up Hammer and Chisel. I actually stopped it with about a week and a half left because I couldn’t take it anymore. It’s a great program but it just got old. Instead of hating my workouts for the next 9 days, I just decided to start something new.
And it feels good!
Latest posts by Mindi (see all)
- 5 Sneaky Ways Heavy Lifting Has Made Me a Better Mom - April 27, 2017
- Weekly Workout Recap #3: Stronglifts 5×5 - April 12, 2017
- April 2017 Goals: Fitness, Financial, Blogging + Personal - April 3, 2017